REMOVE COMPTROLLER REYNOLDS NOW!
She rejected $900,000 of Citizen HUD money with NO RIGHT to do so!
Mayor has tried every approach to hold her accountable but gets NO help from the City Council.
- She is not Bonded by rules of the City Charter. Only the City Council can hold her directly accountable. (See Mayor Thomas’ letters to the City Council seeking action on UNINSURED Comptroller Reynolds.)
- Hurting Mount Vernon people directly across the board in all areas, from citizens, unions, CSEA, Teamsters, seniors, youth, City staff (but not her favored staff).
- Rejected $900,000 of FEDERAL HUD GRANT dollars meant to pay for housing for the needy, handicap, sick, and vulnerable people. Rejected FREE GRANTS for traffic lights, Razorbacks, college scholarships, and after-school programs!!! (See VIDEO 1 of Feb. 20 Urban Renewal Agency meeting and VIDEO 2 City staff on our effort to STOP evictions underway.)
- Singularly independently being allowed by the City Council to keep blatantly causing extreme damage to City operations. Mismanaging, Rejecting & Misappropriating $MILLIONS of Grant money and City Budget and School System money. (See Feb. 25 Inspector General REPORT on Comptroller Reynolds’ Trying to Hide City Finances.)
- Used Wiring methods to avoid oversight on Inappropriate Payments. Examples include the $11,000 Wall for her REDECORATED office which is designed to keep out the public. Proposed a $50,000 raise for her grandchild’s father. Meanwhile, she and the City Council are defying Federal Court directives, cutting environmental compliance positions, removing monies for law enforcement, and gutting $3 million from retirement benefits for city employees.
- Failing to pay over $2.3 million owed to a small business in the City of Mount Vernon. Willfully ignoring her City Charter role and responsibilities. Willfully ignoring federal, state, and local laws to the detriment of our taxpayers.
1. GOVERNOR CUOMO REMOVE HER.
2. CITY COUNCIL REMOVE HER.
3. STATE COMPTROLLER DINAPOLI STEP IN AND HELP US!
4. REVISE & UPDATE THE CITY CHARTER.
In Mount Vernon, the story is being told of an elected City Comptroller who would be king. The evidence is painting a disturbing picture of a person with little regard for existing institutional safeguards, proper bidding practices, and appropriate oversight.
Worse, allegations that Comptroller Deborah Reynolds is using school district money to pay City bills is frightening. The possibility that she is co-mingling funds for education merits an immediate independent look by the State Comptroller’s Office. Other actions should be on the table as well. This includes (i) the City Council enforcing the requirement for Comptroller Reynolds to be bonded in case of any evidence of misappropriation of funds and SOLUTION (ii) the Governor should remove Comptroller Reynolds for dereliction of duties.
MAYOR HAS DONE ALL HE CAN DO UNDER CITY CHARTER
I have taken every conceivable approach to hold the Comptroller accountable for her actions, inaction, and intentional dis-information campaigns to slander, smear, and sink the City of Mount Vernon. The City Council has done nothing to challenge her improper actions, only aide and abet crazy conduct of Comptroller Reynolds. They continue to turn a blind eye on the harmful actions of the Comptroller. (See the budget video of the Comptroller and Council reneging and rushing forward to pass an illegal budget.)
No elected official is perfect, and I have tried with every ounce in my body to move the City forward and end the corrupt practices of the past. Yet to this very day there is resistance to doing the right thing. I have sounded the alarm for countless months that the Comptroller is unable to carry out her job and now sadly my warnings have proven correct.
I love Mount Vernon! I am saddened that our beloved community is being dragged through the mud. I will continue the fight to stop politicians from the past, once again from controlling the City treasury and preventing us from moving Mount Vernon forward!
SAME OLD TRUTH
We know the truth. Illegal dumping at Memorial Field took our park away. Illegal settlements for cronies of previous administration’s blocking our efforts to keep the City’s water and sewer system safe. Stupid politics is preventing smart progress. The same groupies who harmed our City’s progress are seeking to turn the clock back so the good-old times can roll again. I have no choice but to fight back for the People.
THEY HATE OUR PROGRESSIVE AGENDA FOR YOU, so they want to stall and destroy YOUR SERVICES.
I repeatedly attempted to present the 2019 budget to the Board of Estimate and Contract in September, November, and December of 2018. There was NO cooperation from the City Council or Comptroller who refused to discuss or consider it. At this late date, for the first time in City history, we have no approved budget for 2019.
STILL NO MOUNT VERNON BUDGET BECAUSE OF CITY COUNCIL
Now 180 days later, I am still working behind the scenes to reach a consensus-based budget that complies with our environmental laws and contributes to the growth of our economy to reduce your tax burden.
The only answer we continue to get from the City Council and Comptroller is to play fiscal roulette where no one wins, and the taxpayers suffer.
In November 2018, Commissioner Brett Erasmus reported discrepancies in the City’s balance sheet at the hands of an inept Comptroller. It is a mystery why the City Council continues to protect her while she mishandles millions in our tax dollars, our children’s tax dollars.
MOUNT VERNON CITIZENS CALL TO ACTION
This is your call to action to take control of Mount Vernon’s future.
MAYORS ACTIONS FOR THE PEOPLE
I have commenced a lawsuit asking the Governor to remove the City Comptroller because she is incapable of performing her duties under the Charter. At the same time, I am appealing to State Comptroller DiNapoli to review the City’s fiscal practices before it is too late.
These are some of the steps I am taking to restore sanity inside City Hall.
WE MUST STOP REYNOLDS from destroying Mount Vernon!